Tuesday 9 June 2015

Speakeasy on Broadway

Went to Speakeasy on Friday because it was a sunny day and they have a patio - it's also really close to where one of my friend's live and convenient for us to get to.

I've been there twice before for brunch. The first time, the place was semi-empty (there was one other table). Our server was attentive and ensured that our food was cooked perfectly before he left the table. In general, it was a pretty good experience.

The second time we were a little early and the server told us they wouldn't be open for another 15 minutes. We were standing on the street debating where to go next when we were told by someone (probably the owner) that the kitchen was open and we could sit down. Why didn't the server just tell us to sit down and serve us coffee until they opened? So we sat down in the patio and there were flies EVERYWHERE. Food was still decent and my tiny friend actually finished her entire plate of eggs benedict.

This time, we were there for happy hour. When we sat down, the server came to tell us the drink specials - we ordered the specials ($3 beer). When he brought the beer, he told us the food specials - half off appetizers. That's great, I thought, I'll order a bunch of appetizers. We waited for him to come back and take our order. We waited and waited and waited. Finally, after about half an hour, I was able to flag him down to take our order. He refilled our beer pretty quickly. Then we wanted to leave, so we asked him for the bill when he took our dishes away. He brought it over, but disappeared. We saw him cleaning some other table, taking dishes away, and chatting to other servers in the restaurant. We tried to make eye contact. I was facing the street, and I physically turned around to keep staring at him - no luck. We had our credit cards on the table waiting. I had had enough. We threw down exact change (to the penny - yes, we still carry that around sometimes), and left. I don't think he noticed. I don't know if I'll return any more. Mediocre food is a small thing when you have a patio in the summer - but if you can't even serve me in a timely manner and are holding me hostage while I'm trying to pay, that's a crime.


It's really too bad I had such a terrible experience, because I really did enjoy the chicken wings that I ordered. I ordered the Thai Chilli wings with a side of blue cheese. At first, I thought the wings were too sweet, but once I dipped them in to the blue cheese sauce, it was pretty good. It was sweet, but had a kick of tang to it from the cheese. The wings were crispy and well coated. My companions ordered the hot wings and the barbecue wings. B also ordered the calamari. I wish we read the reviews before we ordered it, because it was soggy and flavourless. It was also served with four pieces of brick they call pita bread.

I wish my server was more attentive so I had a reason to go back. I wouldn't mind having more wings and beer on a nice patio. I suppose there are more around town.

Click to add a blog post for Speakeasy on Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment