Sunday 3 July 2016

Isami Sushi

Went to Isami because Google Maps showed it was the nearest restaurant with a high rating. Reviews also said it was pricy and family run. Both are true. However, given that I've recently stated I would pay more for good food, I still stand by that.

First up, Saba Shioyaki (grilled mackerel). The exterior was perfectly charred and the fish itself was perfectly grilled. The meat was moist and was oily in a good way. Only seasoned with salt, it really brought out the natural taste of the fish. At first I thought it was so small, but because the fish is so oily, it was the perfect size for two people.


Next, perfect Tako Sashimi. It wasn't slimy, but dry and crunchy; it had a nice clean fresh taste. Sliced into the perfect size, you can eat it in one bite.


The Jo Sushi combo came with 9 nigiri and a half tekka (tuna) roll. The eel and clam were so tender, they came apart in one bite. The red snapper had a great crunch to it.


The Nami Sushi combo came with a couple less nigiri and had the sweet egg nigiri.


In general, the fish tasted and felt fresh. Nothing was too fishy. A couple negatives would be: the slightly soggy seaweed, which made it tough for me personally to chew (it was fine for B); and the large block of rice that fell apart easily. Pictured below is the sweet egg nigiri which had the smallest piece of rice, which I enjoyed.


Overall I had a good experience. It was a little pricy so we won't be going TOO often, but I would recommend and return occasionally. I wish they would fill up our tea more often and without being asked to, but service was friendly and quick.

Isami Sushi Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

2 comments:

  1. I went to Isami Sushi a couple of years ago and did not have the best experience because about two or three of my nigiri were visibly not fresh and obviously fishy. Glad to see that this was not the case during your visit. I'll have to go back sometime and give them another try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad. I wonder if it's hit or miss. Please do let me know if your next experience is good or bad.

      Delete