Monday 25 May 2015

West Restaurant

Went to West for another friend's birthday. I had no idea it was part of the Blue Water Cafe / Araxi / Cin Cin family. Had I known I probably wouldn't have visited- but I'm glad I did.

The decor was really nice - modern and clean. We sat by the kitchen window and witnessed the kitchen staff create pieces of art dish after dish. They were beautiful.

Everyone started with a salmon amuse Bouche. It was refreshing and had a great balance of texture.


I had the seasonal dish, which was butter roasted halibut cheeks with baby gem lettuce, castelvetrano olives and a spring garlic emulsion. The halibut cheeks were perfectly cooked- tender, melts in your mouth. The emulsion was a little bitter and balanced the lettuce really well.


Another dinner mate had the Rare Seared Albacore Tuna- which I had wanted at first, but as our fabulous server suggested, going for seasonal dishes is always a good idea. The tuna was delicious, the dish really showcases the natural taste of the tuna.


The star of the night had the pre-theatre fixed dinner, with the Side Striped Prawn Ceviche, Wild BC Salmon, and Chocolate Pot de Creme. The ceviche was refreshing. The citrus perfectly balanced the creaminess of the prawn. The prawn was so fresh.


The salmon was solid. The taste of dill was really strong and went really well with the salmon.


I'm not a fan of cranberry, but the pot de creme was quite tasty. My friend finished the plate.


I ordered the Chocolate Tasting plate. It came with lime cake ganache roll with matcha cookie crumb, matcha tea layered chocolate petit gateau, and dark chocolate semi-freddo, mint ice cream. I really enjoyed the two matcha desserts, after Japan, everything and anything with Matcha is delicious. I like the crunch on the cake roll and layered cake. I'm not a fan of mint with dessert, so I didn't like the semi-freddo. I can see people like B liking it though, for those of you who like mint chocolate.


Overall a great experience. Our server was engaging and attentive. He knew his dishes and wine well. We had a great time. I'd recommend for a special occasion where you're willing to spend some money for some great food. I may return for an anniversary or another big birthday.

West Restaurant + Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment