Monday 27 October 2014

Earnest Ice Cream

After dinner, we decided to go to Earnest Ice Cream for some dessert. Luckily, as we approach winter, there are no more line ups - still busy though.


We tried the London Fog and the Whiskey Hazelnut. The London Fog tasted a bit licorice-y and not enough bergamot. The Earl Grey gelato at Bella Gelateria is way better.

The Whiskey Hazelnut was good. I liked the little bit of saltiness that cuts into the sweetness of the ice cream. Not sure if I tasted whiskey though. When I first tasted it, I thought I ordered the salted caramel - until we compared it to my friend's Whiskey Hazelnut and realized it looks the same.

I left wondering why this place is so busy and what the hype is all about. The ice cream is average at best. Perhaps we are spoiled by the French cooking classes we've been taking, but ice cream is really easy to make and the ones here have too much sugar in them. Maybe I'm just a gelato person and not an ice cream person.

Speaking of gelato, we were walking along Arbutus one early morning. Since Plaisir Sucre Bakery was closed and there wasn't any other dessert place, we walked into Napoletana Pizza, Coffee & Gelato. I know what you're thinking, gelato at a pizza place? It was a very pleasant surprise. We had the pistachio gelato and the flavour was so strong, it was amazing.

Anyway, I will not recommend Earnest, nor will I return. It's not worth the hype.

Earnest Ice Cream on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment