Monday 27 October 2014

The Wallflower Modern Diner

First off, the reason I "Like" The Wallflower on Urbanspoon is because I'm absolutely in love with the Hummus Melt. If they didn't have that, I would definitely "Dislike" it.

It was a cold evening, so I decided I needed a single malt to warm me up (the menu didn't list that they had tea). The server brought the whiskey menu after we asked if they had any. I ordered a shot of the Balvenie and it was actually brought to me in a shot glass. Fine.

We ordered the Poutine to share, B ordered the Blackened Salmon Burger, and I ordered the Hummus Melt (of course). One of our other friends decided that my love for the Hummus Melt was enough to sell her the melt, so she ordered one too.

My friend also happened to be buddhist (vegetarian, which is why we went to the Wallflower), so she can't eat garlic or onions (I had no idea - but apparently, they "excite the senses" - click here to read more about it on Wikipedia). So when the server asked what side she would like, she naturally had to ask if the salad dressing for the salad had any onions or garlic in it. Apparently, all their dressings have onion powder in it. But instead of saying, let me check with the kitchen, she just flat out said she could bring the salad out without any dressing. That's poor service. I mean, how hard is it to make a salad dressing? One part oil and three parts vinegar: DONE! She had to go with the baked fries. But I digress.

The poutine was okay. Tasted fine, but I thought there wasn't enough gravy.


B's salmon burger was a little on the dry side, and the salad looked old.


I chose the daily soup: Cream of Portobello. The flavour was strong and I loved that the mushrooms weren't completely blended to a pulp so that there was still some texture to it. B thinks we make a better mushroom soup though, and who am I to disagree. Click here for the mushroom soup recipe we normally make.


Everyone ended up finishing their food and enjoying it. But I've heard there are plenty more other vegetarian restaurants in the city now. Surprisingly enough, the Foundation, which we were originally planning to go but decided not to because they didn't take reservations, was empty.

  The Wallflower on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment