Monday 27 October 2014

Portage Bay Cafe & Catering

We had breakfast at Portage Bay (South Lake Union) the next day. We made reservations, but when we arrived and I said "I made reservations," the host didn't really listen to me and just said "For 2? Come this way." My guess is they don't care much for reservations.


Service was terrible from the start - probably because they're so busy and understaffed. It took 10-15 minutes for our server to come over and greet us after we sat down. The bussers didn't even bring over water. We were ready to order when our server finally came over. We had two coffees and an omelet (because we were still full from dinner at Assaggio). The coffee and water came at the same time.


They were nice enough to split the Goat Cheese Omelette on two plates for us. At this point, I was a lot happier and had decided to forgive the server for not greeting us promptly. I may have jumped the gun. The potatoes that came with the omelette were soft, but the skins were tough - they may have over baked them or not coat them with enough oil. It didn't make sense why the skins were so tough while the potatoes were so soft (too soft). The omelette presentation was a little sloppy. I think I would have preferred if the goat cheese was incorporated into the omelette and oozing out instead of this glob on top.


During the course of the meal, our server came over to ask how everything was. Stupidly, we said everything was good. As our French cooking teacher taught us, we should be more French and less Canadian and tell people when the food is not up to par.

But that was the extent of the service. We had no coffee or water refills for the remainder of our visit. Finally, we asked for the bill and because we were in a hurry, I put my credit card on the table. The server just grabbed it and said he'd be right back. He didn't come right back. I had time to use the washroom, put my coats on stand at my table to wait before he realized he'd forgotten my bill (and left my credit card unattended). Needless to say, I was not impressed.

Will not recommend nor return. I wonder if we're just spoiled by the great selection of restaurants in Vancouver that nothing impresses us when we go on vacation.

On a side note, they have a great selection of hot sauces.


Portage Bay Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment